Learn how to Crochet a Chevron Tank Top with this easily adjustable and free all-size inclusive pattern. This pattern tutorial is also available on my YouTube channel where it is worked up in size M.
If you would like a printable PDF copy of this pattern with no distracting ads, and loads of guided images, it is available for purchase on my pattern store here. Or just add this to your Ravelry queue for later.
Making a crochet tank top can be a bit daunting since crochet + yarn usually equals a warmer garment and thicker fiber. So I wanted to make this tank top with some “pizzazz”, hence the chevron pattern, and with some color combo.
This yarn that I am using is basically the lightness of all yarn weights which is a fingering yarn. And due to the weightlessness of this yarn, you will not only get a lightweight top but also super airy and soft, perfect for summer.
This top is easily adjustable and also comes in 9 all-inclusive sizes. And if you would like to see more free chevron pattern ideas, you can check out the pretty spring-summer chevron dress here or the cheeky chevron bikini bottom here.
And if you like this style, then you might also like to check out these other free Crochet top patterns here:
Watch The Video Tutorial Here
If you would like to see more video tutorials like this you can check them out here on the blog or Subscribe to my Video Channel on YouTube.
This post contains affiliate links designed to provide a commission on purchases made at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases which support my work in providing new content and information on this site.
This top is constructed top down, with a double yarn to offer some structure and dimension. And because I was aiming for that denim look, I added a gray yarn to create some color contrast and a denim finish.
After all, the name of this pretty blue yarn is Denim from Wool-like Simili lane as well as the Gray Charcoal yarn from the same brand. And due to the weight of the yarn, I am also using a 2.5mm Clover crochet hook which has a great grip and is super lightweight.
This pattern uses the very humble half double crochet stitch throughout the entire panel, with increases and decreases in each section. The front and back panel are exactly identical and can be adjusted to your liking – Including the straps too!
Once each panel is done, you can choose to single crochet both panels together or sew them together with a tapestry needle if you’d prefer.
This Crochet Tank Top pattern also comes Ad Free with a full step-by-step picture-guided PDF file and video tutorial to guide you throughout the entire process.
Join Our Mailing List
If you would like to receive free written patterns and video tutorials straight into your inbox, just click Subscribe to get into our mailing list
Tools And Materials:
Yarn Weight: Category 1
Brand: Woolike Simili-Laine
Color: Denim Blue and Charcoal Gray
Hook: 2.5 mm
Double Yarn Gauge: 10.7 Rows x 20 Sts = 4 x 4” / 10 x 10 cm
Single Yarn Gauge: 14 Rows x 23 Sts = 4 x 4” / 10 x 10 cm
No. Blue yarns: XS [S/ M /L/ XL] [2XL/ 3XL /4XL/ 5XL] = 1 [2/ 2/ 2/ 3] [3/ 3/ 3/ 4]
No. Gray yarns: 1 for all sizes
Tools: tapestry needle, measuring tape, scissors, stitch markers,
Things to Note:
§ Prepare pattern gauge to get the right size. You may need to adjust your tension or change hook size to achieve the same gauge.
§ Turning chain does not count as a stitch unless mentioned otherwise
§ Step by step Video Tutorial available here
§ Abbreviation is available in English US format here.
Your body measurement:
XS [S/ M /L/ XL] [2XL/ 3XL /4XL/ 5XL]
Bust: 30 [34/ 38/42/ 46] [50/ 54/ 58/ 62]” or 76 [86/ 96.5/ 106.5/ 117] [127/ 137/ 147/ 157.5] cm
§ These measurements are only estimates and is best to measure your work/body along
§ I am wearing size M, and I am 5”3 / 160cm in these pictures for reference with 1”/ 2.5 cm of negative ease.
Denim Chevron Tank Top Free Crochet Pattern
PART 1: Front Panel
Working with both Blue and Gray yarn together
1. Foundation Row: *(Ch 23 [25/ 28/ 31/ 34] [37/ 40/ 43/ 46] Place a
SM on the last Ch). Rep (*) 3 more times. No SM required on last Ch, Ch 1 to
start the 1st Row, turn
2. Row 1: 2Hdc on the 2nd Ch from hook, Hdc across until 2nd Ch before
SM, Hdc3tog (SM should be the middle St). Place SM back on the last St, Hdc across until Ch before SM, work 3Hdc on SM, Place SM back in the middle St, Hdc across until 2nd Ch before SM, Hdc3tog (SM should be the middle St) Place SM back on the last St, Hdc across, 2Hdc on the last Ch, Ch 1 turn
3. Row 2: 2Hdc on the 1st St, Hdc across until the St before SM, Hdc3tog (SM should be the 1st St), Place SM back on the last St. Hdc across until St
before SM, work 3Hdc on SM, Place SM back in the middle St, Hdc across until the St before SM, Hdc3tog (SM should be the 1st St), Place SM back
on the last St. Hdc across, 2Hdc on the
last St, Ch 1 turn
4. Row 2 – 8: Rep Row 2 for 6 more rows.
Drop Gray Yarn and cut
5. Row 9: Work 3Hdc on the 1st St, Hdc across until the St before SM, Hdc3tog (SM should be the 1st St), Place SM back on the last St. Hdc across until St
before SM, work 5Hdc on SM, Place SM back on the middle 3rd
St, Hdc across until the St before SM, Hdc3tog (SM should be the 1st
St), Place SM back on the last St, Hdc across, 3Hdc on the last St, Ch 1 turn
6. Row 10 onwards: Rep Row 2 until you’ve achieved your
You may also refer to the chart below for reference
PART 2: Bottom Triangle Pattern
1. Next Row: From your last St, working on Row A, Sk 1, Hdc2tog, Hdc across until St before SM, Sk SM, Sk 1 on Row B, Slst 3, turn (Do not Ch 1)
2. Next ow: Hdc across Row A until the 4th last St, Hdc2tog, Sk 1, Ch 1 turn
3. Next Row: Sk 1, Hdc2tog, Hdc across until the last St on Row A, Sk 1 on Row B Slst 3, turn (Do not Ch 1)
4. Next Row: Rep Steps 2 & 3 until you have no more Sts remaining. Your last St should end on the St before the next SM on Row B.
Note: Make sure you do not miss or skip any stitches.
5. Bind off and work on the next Triangle.
6. Next Row: Insert hook in the 2nd last St just before the SM on Row C, Ch 1 to secure. Work a Hdc on the 1st St on Row D and across until the last 4th St. Hdc2tog, Sk 1, Ch 1, turn
7. Next Row: Sk 1, Hdc2tog, Hdc across until the last St on Row D, Sk 1 on Row C Slst 3, turn (Do not Ch 1)
8. Next Row: Hdc across Row D until the 4th last St, Hdc2tog, Sk 1, Ch 1 turn
9. Next Row: Sk 1, Hdc2tog, Hdc across until the last St on Row D, Sk 1 on Row C Slst 3, turn (Do not Ch 1)
10.Next Row: Rep Steps 8 & 9 until you have no more Sts remaining. Your last St should end on the St before the next SM on Row C.
11.Bind off and make a second piece by repeating all of Part 1 & 2.
PART 3: Join Sides
1. Place both pieces together WS up, and Sc each St of both panels together.
Both sides look very similar, you can choose any side to be your
2. Rep on the other side
3. Bind off
PART 4: Straps
1. Measure the length of strap you would like to have based on the description below.
a) Place measurement tape at the top of your shoulder and measure down where you would like the top triangle to sit comfortably
b) Double that amount.
For ref, I worked 42 chains to achieve a 10”/ 25cm strap length.
Use this as your reference point
2. Foundation Row: With both Gray and Blue yarn, Insert hook in the 4th
St (Front Panel) after the middle St (where the SM was placed) at the top and start your chains.
Feel free to adjust the thickness of the strap by working more/
less rows and by starting further back/ front from the middle of the top St.
3. Row 1: Cont to measure your Chains when stretched to reach your desired length.
4. Row 2: Slst on the opposite side – back panel on the 4th St after the middle St at the top, Slst 2, turn
5. Row 3: Hdc each Ch across, Sk 1 St on panel side, Slst 3, turn
6. Row 4: Hdc each St across, Sk 1 St on panel side, Slst 3, turn
7. Row 5: Rep Row 4
8. Row 6: Hdc each St across, Sk 1 St on panel side, Slst, Ch 1 to secure
9. Bind off and rep on the other side.
10.Weave in all loose ends.
If you are looking for the entire tools used to make this Denim Chevron Tank Top pattern, I’ve listed them all right here:
♥ Woolike Simili-Laine Denim Blue and Charcoal Gray
♥ Denim Chevron Tank Top Printable PDF (Ad Free & Picture guided!)
Great job if you made it this far! If you have any questions about this pattern, do check out the video tutorial or get in touch with me by dropping a comment below.
And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and Facebook @theknottylace, I would love to see your work!
By the way, If you would like to receive free written patterns and video tutorials straight into your inbox, you can join our mailing list now.
This pattern and images are copyrighted by The Knotty Lace and are free for your personal use. I ask that you do not copy, share, adjust, alter or resell my Pattern(s) and picture(s). If you wish to sell ready-made products using my pattern(s), please do give credit mention to The Knotty Lace. Thank you