This post contains affiliate links designed to provide a commission on purchases made at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases which support my work in providing new content and information on this site.
A quick and easy free crochet bikini pattern to make this summer and the perfect first piece to make for any beginner! If you found this page it also means that you’re probably looking to make that perfect bikini cup! Well look no further, I’ve got that covered just for you!
All you would need to know are some basic crochet stitches like the half-double crochet stitch and the perfect bikini yarn!
This free crochet pattern tutorial also comes with a matching bikini bottom here. And a video tutorial is also available on my YouTube channel where it is worked up in cup size A.
If you would like a printable and ad-free PDF copy of this Rochelle String bikini top pattern, it is available for purchase in my pattern store, or add this to your Ravelry queue
Crocheting a bikini can seem like a daunting task for a beginner, but with the right mindset and this detailed guide, it can be a fun and rewarding project for anyone. With the freedom to choose your own colors and add your designs, a crocheted bikini might just be your favorite addition to your summer wardrobe.
Designing a bikini was the first crocheted item I have ever made and it was a lot of trial and error working up the perfect fit. I wanted to create the perfect size for every cup.
With a lot of frogging and reshaping, I had finally found the perfect recipe for that perfect crochet bikini cup that is not too high and not too wide and made for all bust sizes! It is also perfect for any beginner crocheter, I promise!
Crocheting your own bikini top is not only a quick and fun project, but it also allows you to add your own customization from that basic triangle structure made to fit your body type and personal style.
I will not only be sharing with you this free pattern and video tutorial on how to crochet a string bikini top, but also tips on what yarn, the ideal crochet hook size, the best stitch type, and whether crochet bikinis really are waterproof.
Is this string bikini top pattern suitable for the beach and pool? (Read on).
Are Crochet Bikinis Water Proof?
While crochet bikinis CAN be worn in the water, not all yarn types are approved. If you’re not using the right yarn, it WILL absorb water, which will result in a heavy and stretched-out bikini top.
If you plan to wear your crochet bikini in the water, choosing the right type of yarn is crucial for a successful bikini crochet top and for all other crochet swimwear.
You’ll want to choose a yarn that is lightweight, comfortable to wear, and one that has elastane.
Cotton yarn is a popular choice for crocheting bikini tops because it is breathable and dries quickly. But you must also want to consider a yarn that comes with a blend of spandex or lycra. With a bit of stretch, this will ensure a comfortable and secure fit especially when getting wet.
The best yarn that we have used and tested time and time again is the Cascade Fixation yarn, which you can read in more detail here.
The best way to care for it is to rinse it thoroughly with cold water after each use and lay it flat to dry. Avoid wringing out your bikini or hanging it to dry, as this can stretch out the yarn and alter the fit of your top.
So having said that this string bikini top IS perfect for both the beach and pool because this baby will not sag!
The Perfect Triangle:
When it comes to crocheting a triangle bikini top, it is important to consider your bust size. This basic bikini top is so versatile for any cup size. If you have a smaller bust, you may want to choose a pattern that has more patterns on it, or by adding cup pads for a tighter silhouette.
If you have a larger bust, you may want to choose a pattern that has more coverage and support. You can do this by adding a rubber band at the bottom of the cups or even shaper pads to provide some lift.
Keep testing the first cup that you’re making with different sizes and measure as you go and stick with the one that you feel confident will flatter your body type.
The best thing about the triangle cup is once you have mastered shaping and achieving the perfect triangle, you can go on to making other amazing crochet tops like crochet bralettes, crochet crop tops, and many other bikini designs.
Overall, I believe that this crochet string bikini top pattern is the only one you will need to create the perfect bikini project.
While there are certainly many different patterns to choose from, the truth is that not all patterns are created equal. With its perfect fit, versatile design, and easy-to-follow instructions, it is a pattern that is sure to become a favorite in your crochet collection.
So why not give it a try and see for yourself just how easy and fun it is to create your own beautiful and functional crochet bikini top, or maybe even your first?
To get started on your own crochet bikini top, I recommend gathering the right yarn and hook size, and knowing how to master working with stretchable yarn.
Hook: The hook size you’ll need will depend on the thickness of your yarn and your personal crochet tension. For this pattern, I am using a 2.5mm crochet hook but always make a swatch and check your gauge and tension before starting any new pattern
Pattern: This string bikini top pattern is designed to be worked up quickly and easily, with double chain stitches as ties and simple basic half-double crochet stitches used throughout the pattern. Be sure to check your gauge to ensure a perfect fit.
Yarn: As mentioned above, You’ll want to choose a yarn that is lightweight, comfortable to wear, and one that has elastane. See Best Yarn for Crochet bikinis & Crochet Swimsuits. This will ensure a snug fit and not worry about it sagging!
Controlling your tension is another important tip when using stretchy yarns. It may require some getting used too, so keep practicing to ensure a perfect stitch every time.
Another great thing about crochet bikinis is that it does not require a lot of yarn, hence 1 – 2 balls of Cascade Fixation should be enough for all Sizes.
One of the key features of this pattern is that it grows as you go, meaning that you start in the middle and work your way outward to create the perfect fit for your body.
This ensures that the cup size is just right and that the cup offers the ideal amount of coverage.
Overall, making a simple crochet bikini top is a great way to create a custom piece that fits your body perfectly and reflects your personal style.
With the right materials and a little bit of creativity, you can make a beautiful and functional bikini top that you’ll love to wear all summer long and will be sure to turn heads at the beach or pool while being able to enjoy your handmade creation for many summers to come.
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE
If you would like to see more video tutorials like this you can check them out here on the blog or Subscribe to my Video Channel on YouTube.
Tools and Materials:
Yarn weight: DK Category 3
Brand: Cascade Fixation
Color: Pink/WhiteHook: 2.25mm
Gauge: 24 Hdc sts x 16 rows = 4”x 4”
No. yarns (balls): A[B/C/D/E/F] – 1[1/1/1/1.5/1.5] total or only 1 ball for each color (ALL SIZES)
Tools: tapestry needle, tape measure, scissors, shaper pads (Optional)
If you like this pattern, you might also like these:
Betty Bralette Pattern / Sienna Two Way Bralette Pattern / Sahara Bikini Top Pattern
Or check out more free Crochet Tops here.
Things to Note:
- Prepare gauge to get the right size.
- Do note this top is stretchable when using mentioned yarn
- Refer to the measurement chart here
- Abbreviation page available in English US format
- The turning chain does NOT count as a stitch unless mentioned otherwise.
- The video tutorial shows the making of size Small
- Pattern will refer to 2 color exchanges as Yarn A for Pink and Yarn B for White.
Join Our Mailing List
If you would like to receive free written patterns and video tutorials straight into your inbox, just click Subscribe to get into our mailing list.
ROCHELLE CROCHET STRING BIKINI TOP PATTERN
Part 1: Making the Cups
Pattern will refer to 2 color exchange as Yarn A for Pink and Yarn B for White.
- Foundation: Prepare Yarn A and start with a chain of 15 for all sizes
- Row 1: From the 2ndCh from hook, work 1 Hdc and cont to Hdc across the chain, Ch 1, turn [14 sts]
- Row 2: Work 14 Hdc Sts, turn to the post side and work 5 Hdc group St on the last Hdc post, Cont to work 14 Hdc Sts on the chain side, Ch 1 turn
- Row 3: Hdc 16 Sts, work 5 Hdc in the next St, Hdc 16 Sts, Ch 1, turn
- Row 4: Hdc 18 Sts, work 5 Hdc on next St, Hdc 18 Sts, Ch 1, turn
- Row 5: Hdc 20 Sts, work 5 Hdc on next St, Hdc 20 Sts, Ch 1, turn
- Row 6: Hdc 22 Sts, on the next St, work 3 Hdc in next St, Hdc until the end, Ch 1 turn.
- Row 7: *(Contto Hdcuntil the 1st St of the 3 Hdcgroup Sts, work 3 Hdcin the next St, Hdc until the end). Rep (*) for 1[3/5/7/9/11] more rows, Switch to Yarn B, Ch 1 turn. * Change yarn color by drawing up the new color before closing the last stitch. Refer image below.
- Row 8[10/12/14/16/18]: Rep (*) for 1 row then switch to Yarn A Ch 1, turn.
- Row 9[11/13/15/17/19]: Rep (*) for 2 rows then switch to Yarn B Ch 1, turn.
- Row 11[13/15/17/19/21]: Rep (*) for 2 rows then switch to Yarn A for next row. ch1, turn.
- Row 12[14/16/18/20/22]: Work 1 Hdc until the 1st St of the 3 Hdc group Sts, on the next St, we will be making the top ties.
- Before making the next St, measure about 2 arms length of yarn (approx 60”) and pull another 60”. Fold in half (ref image 1) – See: How to make ties
- Insert hook through the next St, and pull up the double yarn (ref image 2) and work 1 Hdc St. Next work double chains with both yarns till the end.
- Next, Insert hook through the last worked St made before the ties and draw up a loop (ref image 3) Cont to Hdc on the next St and across
- Bind off and make a second cup by repeating steps 1 – 15.
Image 2 / Image 3
Part 2: Back Ties
- Just like before pull 2 arms length worth of yarn but now for 4 times.
- Fold in half and work a slip knot at the 2 ends.
- Work up double yarn chains until the end.
Part 3: Attaching cups
- Pick up the Right cup and turn the bottom side up
- Weave in your hook through every other row until the last row. Pull the loop end of the tie through.
- Repeat the same on the other cup
- Pull and adjust ties
- Finally, tie a double knot at the end of each tie end and trim of access.
- Weave in all loose ends
If you are looking for the entire tool used to make this Rochelle String Bikini Top crochet pattern, check them out here below:
- 2.25 mm Clover Amour Crochet Hook
- Cascade Fixation Yarn in Pink
- Cascade Fixation Yarn in White
- Rochelle String Bikini Top Pdf Pattern file
If you would like to receive free written patterns and video tutorials straight into your inbox, join our mailing list.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and Facebook @theknottylace, I would love to see your work!
Follow me on social:
Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Subscribe and get all the new patterns and updates in your inbox
This pattern and images are copyrighted by The Knotty Lace and are free for your personal use. I ask that you do not copy, share, adjust, alter or resell my Pattern(s) and picture(s). If you wish to sell ready-made products using my pattern(s), please do credit mention The Knotty Lace. Thank you.