If you have ever had the chance to wear crochet boy shorts or yoga pants, you would know what I mean when it comes to comfort!
Here I am going to share with you the free pattern and how I came up with these comfy Nella crochet boy shorts.
Crochet pants may seem hard at first, but when you know that it only requires stitching in the round, then you will realize how easy it actually is. It’s truly an all-purpose garment.
I love these shorts because I can literally wear them All The Time. It even works as PJs if you like. All you would need to know are single crochet stitches! That simple.
- Paired with Betty Bralette
To be honest, I saw a lady at a yoga studio one day and she was wearing these super cute boy shorts! I just couldn’t help but peek! (Ok I was ogling 🤪). When I got home, I thought to myself, maybe I could recreate this look with crochet!.
So I grabbed a bunch of leftover yarns – YES LEFTOVER YARNS and started working. Hence the Nella Boys shorts/ yoga pants were born!
Another thing that I updated recently was to include bigger all-inclusive sizes to this pattern which was initially S – L. I am now happy to announce that this pattern now fits XS – 5XL! Don’t forget to get the correct stretch yarn for this pattern because getting the perfect stretch is fundamental!
Check out these other crochet bottoms you might like here:
This boy short is worked in the round from top to bottom. Then each leg opening is worked separately.
Each row is worked with individual colored yarns so if you do not like switching yarns then by all means just use only one color.
However, I do have some great tips on how to change yarn colors without weaving in all those loose ends! Check it out here:
CHECK OUT MY LATEST VIDEO
Tools And Materials:
Yarn weight: DK Category 3
Brand: Cascade Fixation
Color: Multicolor – light blue, white, brown, beige, dark blue, black, green, turquoise
Gauge: 26 Sc Sts x 24 rows = 4”x 4” (10cm x 10cm)
No. yarns (balls): XS[S/M/L/XL] [2XL/3XL/4XL/5XL] – 2.5[3/3/4/4][4/4/4/4] balls or 1 ball for each color
Tools: tapestry needle, measuring tape, scissors, rubber band
This post contains affiliate links designed to provide a commission on purchases made at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases which support my work in providing new content and information on this site.
Things To Note:
· Prepare gauge to get the right size.
· Do note this bottom is body hugging but is stretchable when using mentioned yarn
· The turning chain does NOT count as a stitch
· Hip size refers to the circumference of the widest part of your bum area and not the actual finished garment.
· Please note this boy shorts is a cheeky cut and sits at the hip. But you can adjust the height accordingly
· You may use any color of your choice
· Refer to the measurement chart here
· Abbreviation page available in English US format
· Your hip size: XS[S/M/L/XL] [2XL/3XL/4XL/5XL] –32[34/36/40/44] [48/53/55/57/62] inches or 86[91.5/101.5/111.5/122] [134.5/139.5/144.5/157]cm (size up if you are in between sizes)
If you would like to receive free written patterns and video tutorials straight into your inbox, just click Subscribe to get into our mailing list.
Nella Boy Shorts/ Yoga Pants Crochet Pattern
PART 1: Working from Band to Crotch
1. Foundation: Prepare any color yarn, I am using light blue to start. Work a chainless foundation St (see video tutorial here) of 140[148/156/172/188] [204/224/240/260] and Slst through the first Ch to join in the round. Ch 1 ** Chain width should be approx ~17.5[18.5/19.5/21.5/23.5] [25.5/28/30/32.5] inches or 44.5[47/49.5/ 54.6/59.7] [64.8/71.1/76.2/82.6] cm when fully stretched outwards. If not adjust accordingly ** See image 1 on how to exchange yarn color or click this link for full tutorial
2. Row 1: On the last st, work 1 Sc and cont to Sc across the entire chain in the round, on the last St change yarn color (white) and Slst through the 1st Sc st to close, Ch up 1
3. Row 2: Sc each St in the round for another 41[43/46/48/51] [52/55/57/60] rows. If you would like to follow the color sequence in the picture, start row 2 with white followed by brown, beige, dark blue, black, dark blue, green, turquoise, brown, black, brown, beige, 4 rows of turquoise, 4 rows of white, brown, dark blue, light blue, black, white, 5 rows of turquoise in this order and then rotate colors according to your number of rows. This length will sit at the hip. If you would like it higher, then cont adding more rows by measuring 3 rows = 0.5 inch / 7.5cm of row height. Ch 1.
4. Crotch ALL Size: On the next row, Ch 15[16/16/18/18] [20/20/21/21] and Slst through the middle half of the work or 70[74/78/86/94] [102/112/120/130] Sts from the Ch St. This makes the crotch length.
5. Row 1 of Leg Opening: Ch 1, and work 1 Sc on the same last St and across the row and the “crotch” chain, Sc on each ch and Slst through the 1st St to close that row, Ch up 1
6. Row 2 – 9: Sc each stitch in the round for one more row using the same color yarn and 7 more rows changing colors (I have used beige, light blue, dark blue, 2 rows of black, 2 rows of brown, in this order). If you would like the leg to be longer, cont adding more rows by measuring 3 rows = 0.5 inch/ 7.5cm of row height. Bind off
7. On the other leg opening, pick up yarn anywhere around the crotch chain and Rep step 5 & 6
PART 2: Attaching rubber band
2. Insert your hook through the side or back st (some place inconspicuous) of the top row and draw up a loop and Ch 1
3. Next, place rubber band on top of the row and insert hook through the first St and drawing up a loop from under the band, and Sc around it.
4. The elastic band should be between the Sc Sts. Cont to Sc each st in the round while pulling the rubber band firmly across,
5. About 10 sts before closing the row, pull both ends of the elastic band slightly and work 2 knots. Secure and fasten off.
6. Sc the remaining Sts while covering the rubber band, Slst through the 1st St to close the row.
7. Bind off and snip off any access band
8. Weave in all loose ends.
If you are looking for the entire tool used to make this Nella Boy Shorts crochet pattern, check them out here below:
This pattern and images are copyright of my brand (The Knotty Lace) and are free for your personal use. I ask that you do not copy, share, adjust, alter or resell my Pattern(s) and picture(s). If you wish to sell ready-made products using my pattern(s), please do credit mention The Knotty Lace. Thank you.